In this episode, Emily Gentry, BSN, RN, HON-ONN-CG, OCN, Senior Director of Education and Program Development, AONN+, is joined by:
Janine E. Guglielmino, MA, Vice President, Mission Delivery, Living Beyond Breast Cancer
- Living Beyond Breast Cancer (LBBC) is a national nonprofit organization that seeks to create a world that understands there is more than one way to have breast cancer. To fulfill their mission of providing trusted information and a community of support, LBBC offers on-demand emotional, practical, and evidence-based content that is meaningful to those newly diagnosed, in treatment, post-treatment, and living with metastatic disease.
Jasmine Souers, Co-Founder, Chief Visionary Officer, For the Breast of Us, alumnae of Living Beyond Breast Cancer’s Young Advocate Initiative, and breast cancer survivor
- For the Breast of Us empowers women of color affected by breast cancer to make the rest of their lives the best of their lives through education, advocacy, and community.
Here are the top 3 takeaways from this episode:
- Living Beyond Breast Cancer’s recently conducted needs assessment of young women with breast cancer noted 6 key findings. While some areas of care for young women have improved over the past several years, there are still unmet needs before, during, and after primary treatment, including a change in the physical, mental, and emotional impact of a breast cancer diagnosis and how this impact can vary between people of different races and ethnicities.
- Representation is validation for young women with breast cancer. The assessment found that women of color are looking to connect with other women of color in order to connect with women like themselves and find hope and education within their own communities.
- There are barriers to fertility preservation in young women with breast cancer. Patients may not know how their treatment can affect their fertility and future family planning. No matter the barrier the patient is experiencing, oncology nurse and patient navigators need to find ways to have conversations with their patients without making assumptions and while being supportive in their decisions.
To learn more about the Heart and Soul of Oncology Navigation podcast and to view our series schedule,
please visit our podcasts page.
Stay tuned for the next episode: Leadership - Communication, Creativity, and Cultivation
Wednesday, October 27, 2021, at 7:00 PM ET
Janine E. Guglielmino, MA
Jasmine Dionne Souers
- The Breast of Us private Facebook group for women of color affected by breast cancer
- For the Breast of Us campaign that focuses on the importance of representation and inclusion
- For the Breast of Us YouTube Channel with webinars, podcasts, and more
- Living Beyond Breast Cancer’s Needs Assessment of Young Women Diagnosed with Breast Cancer
- Living Beyond Breast Cancer’s Healthcare Provider Resource Hub